Do you ever get nostalgic for a meal you LOVED as a kid but now KNOW it was not that good (or maybe terrible) for you? I do, all the time! That’s where a lot of my recipe inspiration comes from! This recipe is dairy-free but tastes wicked cheesy and is low carb so it’s both Paleo and Keto diet friendly. As an added bonus, it’s kid friendly too! You can make the recipe as is, or add some extra veggies like chopped zucchini to up the nutrition factor even more and get even more veggies into your picky eaters! Here’s how you make it:
- 4 slices of bacon (roughly 1/2 pound)
- 1 pound grass-fed beef
- 1 bag of frozen cauliflower florets (16oz) (or two fresh heads of cauliflower)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 4 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 – 2 Tsp BalancedBites Trifecta blend – sold by Kasandrinos (or equivalent measure of sea salt, black pepper and granulated garlic blended)
- Extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat cauliflower for roasting)
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet pan (I love my Lodge cast iron pan) until nice and crispy. Set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, spread the cauliflower florets out on a baking sheet. Coat with EVOO and roast for 15 minutes or until the florets are fork tender.
- Once the bacon is done cooking. Cook the ground beef in the bacon fat.
- Chop the bacon into a crumble.
- Once the beef is done cooking, add the chopped bacon, cauliflower and spice blend to the pan. Stir to disperse seasoning.
- Add the nutritional yeast and coconut milk to the pan and stir to completely coat everything in “cheesy” goodness.
- Add the spinach and stir it in allowing it to wilt.
- Cook for an additional three to five minutes or so to thicken up the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
This makes about 4 servings. To freeze leftovers, let cool completely then transfer individual portions to freezer safe Tupperware containers.