I was recently introduced to an amazing homemade granola recipe by my friend Lexi that is so nutty sweet and delicious! BUT soon after this recipe made its way into my life, my food sensitivity test results came back and said “sorry sister, no nuts!” BOO! So I was forced to go out on my own and create this nut-free alternative. What I was expecting was for it to be an OK substitute, but it actually turned out to be as good as the nut filled version that it was inspired by! Whoop whoop! Winning! This stuff is addicting though, so don’t say I didn’t warn you! Here’s how you make it:
- 1 Tbs chia seeds
- 2 Tbs warm water
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs sunflower seed butter (unsweetened)
- 2 Tbs hemp seeds
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas)
- 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup goji berries (or raisins but it won’t be as pretty)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the warm water and chia seeds and put in the fridge
- in a saucepan melt the honey over medium heat until it starts to bubble a little.
- Stir the coconut oil and sunflower seed butter until uniform and then turn the heat off.
- Combine the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, salt, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice in your food processor and pulse until everything is ground up into a coarse sand like texture.
- Put the contents of the food processor, the coconut flakes (smashed into small pieces if not already shredded) and chia seeds into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add honey mixture to the bowl and stir well to coat.
- Spread the mixture into a thin layer on your baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and stir and chop with a small spatula. It should have started to get a little golden brown on the underside.
- Re-spread the crumbles on the pans and cook for another 8-9 minutes. You may need to stir and chop one more time if a little more goldeness is desired. If you are placing back in the oven a third time only 2-3 minutes will be enough.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely (to develop the crunch) before stirring in goji berries and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container.