When I asked which recipes you would like healthier versions of, the most popular response was PASTA! More specifically, lasagna. This recipe took a few tries, but I think I created something that is so close to the real thing, you won’t even know it is dairy-free. The key is the Cashew Cream Ricotta. I use coconut milk in my recipe to give it a very rich & creamy flavor and texture. It also increases the healthy fats to keep you feeling full and satiated long after you’ve eaten this meal. I can’t guarantee you won’t go back for seconds though… it’s that good. I’ve linked to the brands I used below (my favorites) but feel free to interchange with your favorite versions!
Cashew Cream Ricotta:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews (I get mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (also Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (Bragg’s is my favorite)
- 1 clove garlic (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- Blend all ingredients together. Easy Peasy. It should be thin enough to pour. If not, add water slowly to thin out consistency.
Dairy Free Lasagna with Cashew Cream Ricotta:
- 1 medium size zucchini (shredded)
- 1 lb. of grass-fed beef
- 32 oz jar of marinara sauce (I love Rao’s)
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning (I love Balanced Bites blend)
- 1 box of Cappello’s Grain free lasagna noodles (you can use a different brand, but cooking times may change)
- Cashew Cream Ricotta (recipe above)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling (I love Kasandrinos)
- Sea Salt and Cracked pepper to taste (for seasoning the beef)
- Fresh basil (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred your zucchini using either a food processor, or a cheese grater.
- Cook ground beef in a (preferably) cast iron skillet over medium high heat until thoroughly browned. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Add shredded zucchini to the pan with the beef and simmer to evaporate some of the water that will come out of the zucchini.
- Layer 2 sheets of lasagna noodles at the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish.
- Add 1/4 of your sauce on top of the noodles.
- Layer 1/3 of your beef/zucchini mixture over the sauce.
- Spread the 1/4 cashew ricotta “cheese” evenly over the beef/zucchini.
- Repeat steps 5-8 two more times.
- Layer 2 more sheets of lasagna noodles on top.
- Add remaining 1/4 sauce and 1/4 ricotta to the top.
- Take a fork and swirl it around a bit to create a cool marbled design on the top.
- Top with a drizzle of EVOO, and a sprinkle of sea salt & pepper.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 30-40 minutes until warmed throughout.
- Let lasagna cool for 5 minutes before cutting into large even squares.
- Serve with some fresh chopped basil for garnish if desired and enjoy!
Let’s keep in touch! Click here to: