Since getting my Invisalign braces a week or so ago, my teeth have been a little sore (that’s a good thing, it means their moving!) so I’ve needed to stick to easier to chew, soft foods. I wanted to make some cookies for Adam, but knowing I’d want to have one (or two) as well I needed to make sure they were super soft. My Chocolate Coconut Cookies are super delicious, but might have been a little too hard for my liking right now, so I set out to make a batch of super soft cookies. I posted these to my Instagram feed and Facebook page and offered to write-up the recipe if enough people were interested… and you were! So here it is!!
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Cookies
This recipe makes about 12-15 cookies depending on how big your cookie scoop is. You can easily double or triple the batch if you need more! This dough also freezes really well so you can make a batch ahead of time, then just cut and bake when you’re ready for cookies!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (solid but softened)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 room temperature egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped up dark chocolate bar)
- Coarse or flaky sea salt to sprinkle on top
As a side note, when sunflower seed butter gets cooked, it has a tendency to turn green. This does not affect the cookies flavor or texture at all. It’s simply aesthetic. I wanted to mention it just in case you see this with your batch. The baking soda should help to mitigate the green color (it did in my batch) but just in case…
- Turn on your favorite music to dance to while baking.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk together the coconut oil, sunflower seed butter, and coconut butter until you have a nice smooth texture.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and whisk until uniform and smooth.
- Next, whisk in the baking soda, salt and coconut flour. Stir until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- Fold in your chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate.
- Using a cookie scoop place cookies roughly 2″ apart on the cookie sheet.
- Flatten the cookies to your desired thickness using the backside of the cookie scoop or spoon (they wont spread much while cooking.)
- Sprinkle the tops with the flaky sea salt.
- Cook in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until the edges are just starting to turn a warm golden brown.
- Let cool, pour yourself a glass of cold milk & enjoy!
I hope you enjoy making these cookies as much as I did!
Like what you see? Subscribe to my newsletter to stay in the loop!