This week’s warmer weather got me thinking about deodorant. Every day, many people are unknowingly putting toxic chemicals on their skin as they get ready each morning. These chemicals are absorbed into our bloodstream where they can cause a whole host of problems. These chemicals are in our shampoos, soaps, makeup, sunscreens and even in our deodorants. In fact, deodorants tend to be one of the most toxic products in a person’s skin care line up. I’ve tried mannnnny natural deodorants, even a DIY product but most fell short on their performance. Since I like being around family and friends, I continued my search for a better option. I finally found two that I can confidently recommend and I want to share them with you! But first, here is why you should care. Most conventional deodorants contain the following harmful chemicals:
- Aluminum Compounds: These compounds are added to these products to block pores and prevent sweating. Aluminum, a heavy metal, may interfere with the bodies natural estrogen receptors and has been linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Parabens: These chemicals are used as a preservatives in deodorants and antiperspirants. They have been shown to mimic the body’s own estrogen and has been linked to early puberty in adolescents and hormone related cancers as well as organ toxicity.
- Triclosan: This compound is a pesticide, used in deodorants as an antibacterial agent. This chemical has endocrine (hormone) disrupting properties.
- Steareths: A carcinogen used to make harsh ingredients more mild.
- Propylene Glycol: This chemical can cause damage to the central nervous system, liver and heart.
The lesson here is to read your ingredient labels. Even many “natural” brands contain one or more of these ingredients. These chemicals can be harmful even in small quantities and when we are exposed to them day after day, the risk of harm rises significantly. When you’ve found a brand you like, try looking it up in the Environmental Working Groups Skin Deep Database to see how it rates.
Here are two brands I’ve used that actually work:
Primal Life Organics – I like the “Stick Up” — Coconut (unscented)
Primally Pure Deodorant – I like the unscented, or the Lemongrass