Recently, my mother-in-law gave us some ground venison and I wasn’t sure how to cook it since I’d only ever eaten it once before. So, I turned to this recipe, which is a staple in our house. It is really easy and you can make substitutions last minute based on what you have in your fridge and can be used with any ground meat. This came out so tasty. The best part is there are usually leftovers and it is just as good the next day! Here is the recipe:
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- Butter or Ghee
- 1 lb ground meat (we used venison in ours this time, but we’ve made it with beef and turkey as well)
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- spaghetti sauce (look for varieties with no sugar or make your own)
- Shredded sweet potato (or carrot)
- 1 large handful of spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Optional diced tomatoes and/or diced mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, length wise, scoop out the seeds and place face down on a cookie sheet. Roast in the oven for roughly 45 mins, until you can easily stick a fork into it through the skin.
- While the squash is roasting, in a large skillet (we love our giant cast iron skillet) sautee one whole diced onion, until translucent.
- Add in ground meat and shredded sweet potato (and any other veggies you decide to add) and cook until meat is nicely browned.
- Add in salt, pepper and turmeric to taste.
- Add in the garlic and stir continuously so you don’t burn it.
- Add in your giant handful on spinach and stir until wilted.
- Add in your spaghetti sauce and stir until all is well combined.
- To serve, use a fork to scrape out the spaghetti squash onto your plate add your butter or ghee, whichever you prefer.
- Cover the spaghetti squash with the meat sauce and drizzle a little evoo on top for a little extra added flavor.
In our house, we usually feed the baby whatever we are eating. This one was a little tricky because it is really hard for the little guy to keep it on the fork or spoon and isn’t really finger food. For him, I whisked up three eggs, added some of the meat sauce and made him a little frittata for supper. He loved it.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!